Helpful Financial Aid Information
If you need assistance with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please contact the Bay Commitment College Access Network at (989) 893-6026 to set up an appointment or to receive help over the phone.
What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the form that students fill out to apply for federal financial aid. In order to award grants, such as the Pell Grant, and federal student loans, the government assesses the information on the FAFSA form. You can complete the FAFSA online by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Before you begin the process of completing the FAFSA form, make sure you have all of the necessary materials.
Checklist of Materials Needed to Complete the FAFSA:
- Your income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms from the previous year, for both you and your parents.
- Your social security card/number and driver's license.
- Records of other untaxed income received such as welfare benefits, social security benefits, veteran's benefits or military or clergy allowances.
- Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other investments.
- Business or farm records (if applicable).
- Records relating to any unusual financial circumstances, such as medical and dental expenses not covered by health insurance, tuition expenses and private elementary or secondary schools, death, divorce, etc.
- Federal Student Codes for each school you are applying to. You can get this code from the school, or visit www.fafsa.ed.gov.
What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The EFC, or Expected Family Contribution, is the amount of money a student and his or her family can reasonably be expected to contribute toward college expenses. The EFC is calculated by a standardized formula that takes into account the following:
- Family's financial resources (income and assets)
- Size of family
- Basic living expenses of the family
The calculation of expected family contribution is based on information provided by the student and his or her family on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The EFC is now required to apply for Bay Area Community Foundation Scholarships. If you need assistance in filling out the FAFSA, please contact us at (989) 893-6026.